Friday, October 30, 2009

Brandi Carlile Album Review! (And Long Description of My Musical Tastes)

I feel kind of like I'm cheating when people ask me what kind of music I like and I say, "Everything!" It sounds like a cop-out answer, but in my case it really is true. Throughout my life I have gone through various phases of loving a certain genre, over and over. The first group I remember ever falling in love with was the Beach Boys, and I think I was about five years old. I truly grew up with their music pouring all kinds of sunshine into my life! My parents exposed me to lots of classical, Broadway, and inspirational music when I was very young as well. From about the time I was 10 years old and started having some control over what I listened to, my tastes have just broadened from there.

The first big music phase I went through was lovin' the Oldies! I wanted the Oldies Radio station on ALL the time (KBEST 95!), and asked for tapes of the Beatles, the Four Seasons, and all kinds of other 60's bands for my birthdays and Christmases. Next was the soft rock radio station (yes, the kind with Delilah). My first boyfriend loved 80's music, and I became a total 80's-lover as well. He opened my world to the new (to me!) sounds of Boston, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears. . . you name it, I probably loved it and still do!
The phases kept coming. . . Alternative, Pop, Classic Rock, Country, Hip Hop, Latin, 70's, Rock and Roll. And with each new genre I discovered, I kept all my favorites from my previous music obsession. I still listen ALL the time to old favorites from every decade. Oldies from the 60's still make me incredibly happy, and I believe it's truly the best music to clean the house to. The only two phases I never really got into are Rap and Heavy Metal. Everything else. . . I listen to it and I LOVE it! I enjoy lots of variety in my life, and in my music as well.

Thanks to my participation with the One2One Network, I got to preview Brandi Carlile's new album Give Up the Ghost. Brandi Carlile has a completely gorgeous, soulful voice. She doesn't quite fit into one genre. To me she sounds a little bit country, a little bit folk, a LOT beautiful and it all comes together to be a really amazing album. There is only one song on the album that's too country/bluesy sounding for me, but the rest are really nice. It's the kind of album that grows on you more and more with each time you listen to it.
My favorite song from the album:

Dying Day

If you download just one song from this album, let it be this one. This was the only song from the album I was already familiar with, and it just has such a great vibe. Love it!

Runner-up favorite song:

Before It Breaks

Slower song, and very gorgeous. Very emotional and deep.
You can hear her music on her website, at www.brandicarlile.com
The music player is on the top-left corner of her website, and you can skip through the songs or just listen for awhile. It's such amazing music to listen to while you're blogging, editing photos, or doing whatever you're doing online.
I'm so glad that I've discovered this beautiful artist! Discovering new music to add to my playlists never fails to make me happy. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    I thought that I was the ONLY one that likes ALL music, except the 2 you said...
    It did take me longer to like country, but I like it just as much now.
    I grew up with my mother loving opera and Beethoven and
    symphonies blasting really loud when I would come home from school.
    My father likes the old original jazz bands and I went to some concerts with him and enjoyed the true talent and music of that generation too.
    I like to work out with disco jamming in my ears.
    A wide variety of music has been really good to have. I have always really liked Celine Deon?(spelling)
    also. Such a pure voice that reaches to the heart!
    Love always,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)