Saturday, January 2, 2010

Photo of the Year!!!

Words cannot express how much I LOVE this picture I took of Natalie on Christmas day. To me, this is the photo of the year! The bright, smiling little face with the perfect glowing Christmas tree unfocused in the background. . . Amazingness!!!

Guess how much Santa loves me? He gave me this beauty. . . my new Nikon D-90! I'm SO excited to learn how to use it!

I took that photo of Natalie with my new camera, and we actually used my cousin's really awesome lens to get that picture in the low lighting with no flash. That's the first thing I want to learn how to master. . . getting really good pictures indoors, with not much natural light but using NO flash. I despise the way the flash looks on indoor shots! Yet when I try to take indoor photos using no flash, 95 percent of the shots turn out blurry. This is especially a problem when I'm photographing my kids, because we all know that kids are constantly moving! So how do you solve the low light/kids moving/wanting no flash quandary? I would love advice!

12 comments:

  1. LOVE the pic Ash! You've just got to play with your camera and get comfortable with the ISO, Aperture and Shutter SPeed. You'll get there. Taking classes and practicing A LOT really helps! You also MUST have the 50mm f1.8 :) !! Get it before your trip and learn how to use it so you can get AWESOME pics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no help on how to take photos, but it looks like you are on the right track. Great picture!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luh-keeeeeeeeee!!! I love that picture and that seriously is my dream camera!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just went down and read all your posts during the break! What fun things!! I love the Whistler Pictures, the snow looked just beautiful. We had so much fun seeing you guys and playing games! Your little Natalie is so adorable and I loved talking to and playing with Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you figure that out make sure you post about it because I want to know!!! :) Merry Christmas! We all loved your card. My boys were just sure Natalie was holding a bird instead of playing in the leaves! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great photo! I totally agree with you - I hate the way a flash looks on an indoor shot, but if I don't use it the picture turns out blurry EVERY TIME because little kids never hold still! I'm always torn - bad lighting or blurry pictures?! I think your new camera is the answer! (I must admit I am a little jealous!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I LOVED hanging out with you over Christmas! It was so fun to talk and play games and meet Stephen and cute Kirsten! Sad we couldn't hang out more but I'm sure we'll both be in San Marcos again sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable baby and a darling picture! I love her shirt too! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy that new camera... how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh a D90! Fancy! I have a D3000, not as fancy as yours but it's an awesome camera. I love Nikons! My camera may be set up differently from yours, but when you're first figuring things out, there is a "no flash" setting on the little turny wheel to the right of the flash on the top. Also, you can set it to a faster shutter speed. Try opening all the curtains to get as much light as possible. You already take beautiful photos, so I'm sure you'll get it down in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That photo is awesome! I always thought you were a great photographer, but it looks like you are just going to get better. That camera looks great. I have a pretty nice one, but can't change out the lenses so I want that next time. This year I got a camera to fit in my pocket, because the bad thing about my nicer one is I don't always want to lug it around in addition to all the baby gear and then miss out on great photo ops. Too bad you can't have it all:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)