Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tuesday Travel Talk

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands!

Stephen and I went to the beautiful island of St. Thomas on our honeymoon in 2005. I had never been to the Caribbean before that, and the water was so clear and warm it just blew me away. I had never seen such beautiful turquoise water before! We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef resort. They gave us a honeymoon upgrade to the top floor, so this was the amazing view from our balcony. We loved it! Magen's Bay in St. Thomas was the most beautiful, peaceful beach I've ever seen. We spent an entire afternoon there, swimming in the calm water of the bay and lying on the sand. I loved going to a relaxing place after all the wedding craziness was over. When I travel I usually love to pack as much into each day as I can, and sightsee like crazy. But in St. Thomas, I was happy to relax, swim, and just enjoy the island's beauty with Stephen.
We rented a car and had a really great time driving around the island to find different beaches and restaurants. We ate at lots of fun restaurants right on the sand. They drive on the opposite side of the road on St. Thomas, which would have freaked me out if I had been driving, but Stephen did a great job and adjusted to it really well.
This picture was also from our balcony.
The craziest thing about St. Thomas was the massive amount of iguanas that live there. They were literally everywhere, and I wish we had taken a picture of how many of them were sunning themselves on the sidewalks around the resort. Tons! They looked a little scary to me, but they never came towards people at all.
We spent lots of time in the Marriott Resort's three pools, and we loved how they were open all the time. Iguanas also loved to spend time in the trees and the sidewalks around the pools, as you can see from this picture. They didn't swim in the pools though, thank goodness!
One of our favorite things we did on our honeymoon was take a boat ride to the small island of St. John. It was so much fun to explore another island, and it was less crowded there because they don't have large resorts on St. John.
We loved our honeymoon! It was peaceful, romantic, and tons of fun. St. Thomas is a bit difficult to get to (I think we had to change planes three different times from San Diego, and we flew all night to get there), but it's worth it!
I tag Rachel Gunnell, Brooke Baker, and Tiffany Andrews to do posts about your honeymoons!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, Ashley, where have you not been to? I am getting so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the funniest picture of you with that enormous, freaky iguana ready to devour you! How funny. I'm totally depressed after seeing all those beautiful sunny pictures now...where is summer?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog amazes me! I am just getting caught up on your past posts....you have BEEN EVERYWHERE!!

    That is neat...yet a little FREAKY...about the iguanas being everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)