Sunday, September 18, 2011

Explore: Whale Watching Through the San Juan Islands!

This summer, our family didn't go on any big vacations.  No San Diego, like we usually do.  It was kind of weird... but also kind of nice.  I decided I'd focus on exploring the beautiful, amazing Pacific Northwest that we are lucky enough to call home.  And we've had some great adventures!

I finally got to cross something off my list that I've been wanting to do for a long time. . . see killer whales in the wild!  I bought us some Groupon deals for half-off a whale watching trip through the San Juan Islands! 

We set sail from Anacortes.  Kirsten was still visiting her grandparents, but we had Natalie and Brooke with us!  I'd better post the proof that there were actual people on this trip, since most of my pictures focus on all the beauty and wildlife surrounding us instead.  


{Natalie saw the whales!}


And I now present. . . why the Seattle area is seriously underrated.  The scenery was spectacular!!!



I seriously LOVED standing out on the deck, surrounded on all sides by ocean and sky and mountains and bright, glittering sunshine, hearing only the waves, smelling only the salty breeze, and looking for whales.  I'll never forget it!

And did we ever find some whales!  We didn't see any breaching, but we saw lots of fins and some families swimming together! 





{In another life, I'd be a wildlife photographer.  So much fun!} 


And we saw seals!


And bald eagles!!!
 

And more gorgeous scenery!  It was an unforgettable day in the Pacific Northwest!

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful!!! And so cool you got a groupon deal to whale watch. And, I noticed you posted this at 2 am?! You are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool trip! Looks like you had a great time. Natalie looks especially old in that first picture that you posted of her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! This is so extremely cool! I've always wanted to see whales too, and the seals and bald eagles would be such a sweet bonus! Now I have to go see if anything like this exists in the Galveston area! It looks like a ton of fun...kids and all!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!!! in Costa Rica there are very good places to see whales when the come to the are to mate!

    http://www.bananaadventuretours.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I always love your pictures. Ya'll go to very scenic places! I would love to see whales in the wild, what a neat experience.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)